Oral cancer screenings
According to estimates from the American Cancer Society, about 30,000 new oral cancer cases are detected in the United States each year, and over 7,000 of them result in death.
At Center One Dental, we are not only dedicated to keeping your smile beautiful, but we also care about your overall health. That is why we include oral cancer screenings as a part of our regular dental exams. If left undetected or untreated, oral cancer can be life threatening.
Our experts are equipped with the tools and skills to detect this disease in its early stages and identify pre-cancerous conditions so that treatment can be administered in a timely manner. Common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Red or white spots or sores in the mouth
- A sore that is not healing for a long time and bleeds easily
- A rough spot, lump or thickening
- Pain, tenderness, or numbness in the mouth or on the lips
- Difficulty in swallowing, chewing, speaking or moving the tongue or jaw
While these symptoms may be indicators of other problems, they should not be overlooked. It is very important to visit our office in Canonsburg, PA, for an oral cancer screening to rule out any possibilities of the disease.
The screening method is quick and simple and involves an examination of your whole mouth to detect cancerous and pre-cancerous conditions. The examination will be done visually as well as by touching and feeling the oral tissues for abnormalities. In case we find something that concerns us, a brush test is done to collect cells from the lesion and sent to a lab for analysis. In case the test results are positive or atypical, a biopsy is ordered.
Tips to prevent oral cancer:
- Avoid all tobacco products
- Consume alcohol only in moderation.
- Eat a nutritious, balanced diet.
- Limit your exposure to the sun. Wear sunscreen on your skin and lips.
- Visit your dentist regularly for checkups.
Our experts recommend that in addition to oral cancer screenings during regular dental examinations in your bi-annual visits, a dedicated oral cancer screening should be conducted at least once a year. Contact Center One Dental in Canonsburg, PA today in case you observe any change in your teeth, gums, throat, neck, mouth, tongue or any other areas near the mouth. Call (724) 213-2274 for appointments. We look forward to helping you maintain a healthy, disease-free lifestyle.